Roland Mouret Galaxy version (Pink)

Hello

The RM Galaxy dress is famous, I don't think the design is better than other of Roland Mouret dresses. The one thing that took time for me to break the code was: How the sleeves were made?

I did have an idea, but I was missing something that I couldn't see clearly in the pictures

It's a classic dress and as I wrote the most challenging part was the sleeve. No matter how many pictures I saw, the sleeve was a real challenge.

I am not joking but it took me looooooooooooooooong time before I managed. Can you believe it? Just a sleeve. At the end, a old top from Roland Mouret and some inside Pictures of a kind owner helped me to understand the sleeve design of the RM Galaxy dress.

I know Roland Mouret likes wool Crepe or stretch wool crepe, but if the dress do not has lining, then I have a problem.

I am not used to wool on my skin but I love how wool crepe behaves and it is not difficult to work with. Another option for me was to buy a stretch crepe fabric made of something else but not wool.

I love neon pink, but I couldn't find a nice fabric with this color.

I bought a stretch denim neon pink fabric and I though: What if I sew RM Galaxy dress with this fabric? Yes, Let's do it.

How is the inside of the dress? I don't really know, I read once in a website that it has a kind of netting as lining. But I have never seen a RM Galaxy dress or the inside of it.

As always, the toile is very important. I did have to send a sample of the fabric to pacific trimming in New York because I needed a RiRi zipper very close to the color of the fabric, also a nice thread, but the sample never reached the store. Very sad.




Fig 1.- Galaxy Dress back

If you go to Roland Mouret website you will be able to see that not matter the color of the dress those 3 buttons in the slit (vent) are black. (Fig 1)
Another thing I want to show you in the pictures below (Fig 2), is that the sleeve is interfaced (yellow circle), to give more structure. The edges of the dresses are not finished in the same way, some dresses has a very small overlocking others dont have it (Red circles). Why? I guess that is something to do with the type of fabric.




Fig 2: Details in the Top part of the dress

Roland Mouret Galaxy dress skirt is formed by 6 parts and a slit (vent) with three bottoms. 1 Piece for the front, 4 pieces for the back and 1 piece that goes all around at the bottom of the skirt.


Fig 3.- Back of the skirt (4 parts)



Fig 4.- Facing of the back top including bias binding in light pink



Fig 5.- Front facing of the top part

Since I am not using lining then I decided to sew front and back  facing in the front and back of the top of the dress. I bought a lighter color of pink for the bias binding to make a bit of contrast. But its something I am still thinking of. Maybe  I will Interface the stitch line and do overlocking.


Fig 6.- Front and back of the top of the dress


Fig 7.- The sleeves 
Fig 8.- The front (right and wrong side)
Fig 9.- The Back (right and wrong side)
Fig 10.- The back of the skirt (wrong side)
Fig 11.- The back of the skirt (right side)

Fig 12.- Back part of the dress with zipper (right side)

Fig 13.- Back part of the dress with zipper (wrong side)

I decided not to use the facing, I interfaced the stitch line and I overlocked the neckline and arms. As it is showed in Fig 14.

Fig 14.- Neckline and arms, sleeve overlocked seams. 
 Fig. 15.- Buttonholes
 Fig. 16.- Buttons
Fig. 17.- Slit vent



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My TIBI Skirt version

My Roland Mouret Neon Green Betley Top version

My Roland Mouret Lush dress version