Dolce and Gabbana polka Dot Suit Style: Vest, Jacket and Pants

Hello

This project has few sewing details that I did have to learn. I do believe that's what I like of sewing, you think that you know all but with each project you learn something new, and maybe you find out that there are better ways of doing things. 

This is the suit:


The original use Silk satin, but I couldn't find the same fabric, so I bought cotton satin polka dot fabric from B&J fabrics. 
The pants are capri style but I decided to make them long. I worked quite a lot mostly with the jacket pattern. 






I have transferred the toile design to paper. I shall also sew a waistcoat toile. 

I started sewing the pants. For some reason that I do not understand, you can find two versions of this polka dot trouser. One with back welt pocket and one without. I decided to make it with the welt pockets.

I cut a long rectangle and marked the opening of the welt pocket.



Here the rectangle is folded

This piece will be inside the pocket against the welt pocket opening


Instead of having two pieces, you have one that will be folded

The right side of the pants will have a piece of fabric that will create the welt pocket










This video How to make a welt pocket for trousers and jackets. | ndifon ntui | - YouTube  help me a lot, he makes it in more steps, but I made it faster by folding a long piece instead of sewing two and also sewing together back piece and front piece around the welt pocket opening. 

I ended-up making more than 5 toiles of the waistcoat, and I am a afraid I will keep working a lot in the jacket because I am not quite satisfied with the fit specially in the back due to my sway-back but my now experience with the waistcoat will help me, hopefully. 

So after a long break, I decided to finish the pants and the vest.  I tried to find a pattern that could look like the vest from D&G, but I find nothing, the tricky part for me was the sides.


You have a dart and then a side panel which is cut through by the welt pocket and the vest itself  is tight to the body. So, after so many toiles, I think I got it with minor changes. I couldn't match every polka dot, the fabric I bought has more polka dots than the original, a bit of a nightmare, but I am satisfied with the result.







When I manage to break the code of the blazer I will update, I do really think I have to buy more polka dot fabric if I want to sew the blazer. That is my next challenge. 

This another toile of the Blazer this time I am nearly there, I need still to fix the swayback and some small details.

I didn't like the type if pockets the Polka-Dot blazer had so I made a mix of two Dolce and Gabbana Blazers. 







I need to increase the width of the Lapel, add a slip vent in the back and add buttons to the arms.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My TIBI Skirt version

My Roland Mouret Neon Green Betley Top version

My Roland Mouret Lush dress version